What To Do With My Old Computer

Your in a shopping mall or online you either buy or order a computer, it comes in and you ask yourself this... What do I do with my old computer?
  • At this point your computer has either crashed beyond repair or you broke it somehow
  • Your computer is just old and slow and you want to get a new one
  • Go to a mac from a pc
  • or for whatever reason
So lets get down to it there are a couple of things you can do with your computer and I'll explain it in many different scenarios. I know there's more but this is just basic scenarios and basic ways....

Your computer motherboard is fried.
Option 1A: take it to some recycling center that takes it in for scrap. You technically can't throw your computer in the trash.
Option 2B: Strip the all components (everything but the motherboard including the case). Then get either a new or refurbished motherboard and cpu- Rebuild it or take the components such as (CD,DVD drive etc) and put it into a working computer. Keep in mind some of these components might not be compatible or work in your working computer.

You find that your motherboard and cpu is fine, but your CD Drive, memory sticks and Hard-Drive is faulty. 
 Option 1: Same as Option1A
 Option 2: Same as Option2B
 Option 3: Buy a new or refurbished (working) CD drive, memory sticks, and Hard-Drive

So wait wait hold on before you ramble on I have a question? What if I lose all my information including my keys for my Operation system Windows and MS office. I mean its useless right? Not necessarily
There are many free linux based operating systems out there, alot are compatible to older computers one being Ubuntu.

There are also many alternatives to MS Office such as LibraOffice and Open Office.

I'm not a tech geek so I'm gonna take this into a computer repair place to fix it.
So this is not such a great idea because computer repair places charge an arm and a leg. Just Google or Youtube how to put a hard drive in a computer or how to build a computer. There are so many resources online. You can easily save about 200 to 400 dollars.

Oh man sounds expensive replacing faulty parts in a computer.
Not necessarily even though I don't recommend it you can always get refurbished or used parts. You never know what your going to get with a refurbished unit you may get another worthless faulty unit. I'd spend a few more dollars to get a cheap new component. Newegg is always a good resource for that.

Um why should I even keep my old computer?
Many many reasons....
If you have a guest staying over that doesn't have a computer you can let him or her use or rent that computer.
Give the computer to a family member
Use the computer as a backup
Use it for internet or youtube only
Use it for email related stuff
Experiment different programs, operating systems
etc.

So there you go there's my bit I am currently typing this on an old laptop infact my first laptop I've ever owned. I rehabbed it new memory sticks, hard drive and the ubuntu operating system and it works like when I first bought it I'm amazed even though it was back somewhere in 2006 or 07 an old Gateway... ha

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrong direction In Korean Diplomacy: The change in the Unification ministry

Beautiful Places I've Been To