Security Guard: Carrying OC Spray and Handcuffs
Security should never be referred to as Security Officers I think its part of the reason why there is a rift between security and police, also Security Agents just triggers me for some reason too they aren't marshals they aren't FBI. They are watchman, they are watch persons, they are guards, maybe even specialists. And it drives me nuts with the ranks like sergeant, LT, post commander, watch commander etc. How about this for a change, Security guard 1, security guard 2, security guard 3, Security Specialist, Security Supervisor, Area Security Supervisor, Security Manager, Area Security Manager, Security Division Chief, Security Director of Business IDK wtf, they should never have a reference to the military or law enforcement.
First thing is I dont think this should ever be the case. If your going to carry a weapon carry a gun so go get your armed guard card for it. I have had many armed guards in the past tell me that they do not carry any OC, taser, or handcuffs because a gun is enough of a statement piece and if you have to use it yes more litigation is possible but aftermath after your cleared you get less flak less payback from the site your guarding. In a criminals eyes non lethal weapons are "pussy" weapons. I've had young armed guards tell me that I have had old armed guards tell me that I have had armed guards that had law enforcement/military background tell me that. And we are talking about self defense here if your an unarmed or armed guard and you are cornered like a dog with no where to go you fight. If your unarmed you use something in your surroundings or on you like a radio or a rock, if your armed of course you would use your pistol. Now as unarmed you should never be in that situation, companies should have enough common sense to know which site is bad and which site is good you would think.
I feel if you self defend yourself with OC Spray or handcuffs you loose respect for that site you are guarding, many people would be saying what a pussy he used one of those two methods, not to mention the person that attacked you is gonna want revenge maybe he has his group go after you.
I will say this too, lets say a 75 year old with OC spraying at the eyes of an attacker its all on film because of the times someone has it on there phone police looks at it, 75 year old is told hey you were defending yourself its fine your good to go attacker goes to jail. Now think of a guard doing the same thing, the police will be different they will say were you trained, why did you spray it in his eyes, maybe even confiscate your OC because he figures you are with security so you are trained and cops have a disposition against guards, I've seen it in person, heard about it even seen it in military bases. MPs are assholes, and the civilian counterparts for the most part act like Midwest cops.
Whereas a gun as long as your trained and certified to use it as a guard you have an armed guard card is far more effective and people would probably think twice that person if he lives if you maimed him he's going to remember.
Just my opinion.......
After all this thought whats my point?
Stay away from guard companies that require you to have OC and handcuffs as an unarmed guard or even armed. They are not looking out for your well being. I know this sounds bad but proactive is a big red flag. If your going to take a position where you have to have those items, make sure you are not paying for it they issue the items and make sure you have support to where it never has to be used that's just my opinion I know people are set in those situations where they have to take something. Just dont get into a situation where you have to pay for that.
Definitely stay clear and far away if you don't know what you would do or confident you would do the right thing or correct procedure in a "heat of the moment" situation and how you would use OC and Handcuffs if you needed to when attacked again another "heat of the moment situation" all the training in the world will never account for the HOTMs got that advice from a military person. This also applies for firearms as well.
I've seen this as well I'm sorry its just a hot topic for me i've seen guards put there hands on there pistol to me thats being scared. For me I would be confident to say I would never put my hands on my pistol unless someone is motioning to grab it or is attacking me thats just me maybe I wouldn't make a good armed guard I probably wouldn't because as an armed guard, I would only shoot you if you are a complete psycho and you follow me into a corner idk thats just me thats why i've never tried to be an armed guard.
I will tell you this I would be a horrible detention officer right thats why I've never wanted to go into it.
Because I've heard a story of someone killing someone on a lets say random installation and a certain person had to transport this person to the jail I guess, The person transport person said here's my 45 if you try anything, you can guess the rest (dude got reprimanded for it prisoner was transported safely). I believe I would be just like that person so thats why i dont bother to apply for jails or prisons.
That story by the way is why I always hesitate to become armed, I will only become armed if everything is paid for or if its a chance to go overseas where you can make the big bucks.
Comments
Post a Comment