A Goldy D-Back Theory

I feel the real reason Goldy was traded before the start of the season was for a couple of purposes.
1.) They wern't going to sign him after this year.
2.) I'm guessing they thought they were going to get a better deal for him in the off season
3.) which is a theory, the organization did not want him to surpass Gonzo as all time leader in several different categories

Let me explain number 3 in a perspective that makes sense because Gonzo I assume could care less if someone surpassed him as all time leader in home runs, RBI's etc. The ownership knew there was going to be backlash getting rid of Goldschmidt so what did they do before the season even started they traded Goldy. If they decided to trade Goldschmidt midway through the year I feel that the ownership thought the impact would be more catastrophic.

All fans universally look at runs, hits, home runs, and RBI's so to make this short lets take a look at those figures. Looking at Goldy's stats he would of surpassed Gonzo in home runs with 227 at this point in time to Gonzo's 224. In everything else Gonzo would still has the lead although in some categories its a short margin, say D-Backs are in a playoff race they have to keep Goldy, by the end of the year he'd be the RBI leader, possibly the runs and hits leader just dependent on how well he does.

As of now if Goldy was still on the team
HR Gonzo 224 Goldy 227 *correction
RBI Gonzo 774 Goldy 754
Hits Gonzo 1337 Goldy 1272
Runs Gonzo 780 Goldy 765

Now the main criticism is the fans wouldn't have cared about that and they wouldn't raise up about that, which i call bull on. I'm a Phillies fan I've seen the trade offs of Rolen, Schilling, Hamels, Utley, Rollins. When you have gotten use to seeing these players on your favorite team and them being traded away it hurts, you understand why they got traded but it still hits inside. That being said I'm not one of those fans who looks at all time leader lists for teams there interesting but I don't care for that but there are many that do care about that.

And in my opinion the ownership looked at that and said "hey lets decrease the damage lets trade him in the offseason offset the angry and upset fans lets try and be a bit competitive this year so they got Adam Jones and Wilmer Flores hope and pray we are at least .500 and if thats the case they succeeded and they are slowly getting more fans back in fact the average is about the same from last year. I feel had they traded Goldy midway through the season or had not picked up his option and let him walk there would be a bigger backlash. Do I think its right? No I think they should've kept or at least tried to I don't think we'll ever know if he wanted to leave or not. To me he was the face of the D-Backs and i feel that they should've shown more loyalty to him.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrong direction In Korean Diplomacy: The change in the Unification ministry

Beautiful Places I've Been To